Amnet

Text Size

50 Ways to Use Social Media for Business

If you're a business person and if you're reading this blog then chances are you've got a social media profile. You may even manage it. There are a lot of articles out there that give you step-by-step instructions on how to set up a profile but very few on how to promote your business once you get there. That's why I've put together 50 different ideas on how you can leverage social media to reach out to your prospects and customers as well as monitor your brand.

We've chosen to focus on Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn - the three largest social networking sites.  Likely you won't be able to implement all of these ideas to market your business but you can certainly take some of them.  I encourage you to especially look at the LinkedIn section because I believe it is the most under appreciated network when it comes to business.

1. Send coupons to fans
  2. Announce new items
  3. Ask open-ended questions to your follower base
  4. Broaden the reach of your blog through the use of RSS
  5. Listen to what industry leaders have to say
  6. Ask questions of your industry leaders
  7. Find the blogs of market influencers and begin commenting
  8. Monitor what others are saying about you
  9. Respond to complaints with offers to help or fix the mistakes
  10. Listen what your competitors are talking about
  11. Observe the buzz-words in your marketplace and respond when appropriate
  12. Help others by answering questions or directing them to resources
  13. Use a Vanity URL to promote and protect your brand
  14. Post links to articles that are relevant to your products, services, and industry
  15. Use the RSS feature to automatically pull and post content relevant to your industry
  16. Get insight about a possible new hire

17. Ask your fans to participate in discussion
  18. Allow fans to post on your wall, post pictures, and upload videos (just monitor it)
  19. Create custom tabs to give your Page a look that matches your brand
  20. Upload photos from your events and ask fans to tag them
  21. Post time-sensitive coupons (TODAY ONLY:  $5 soup and salad for our fans)
  22. Get feedback on new products
  23. Share stories relevant to your industry
  24. Run ads asking people to “Like” you
  25. Post excerpts from your blog as “notes” so they’re easier to comment on
  26. Use the RSS feature to automatically post your blog articles
  27. Buy ads and do A/B testing to find the most effective copy before paying for Adwords
  28. Get a vanity URL to expand and protect your brand
  29. Promote “Fan Only” specials
  30. Use the “Default landing page” settings to put important content at the forefront of your page
  31. Use the “Send Update” feature to stay in contact with your fans
  32. Get an idea of the character of someone you’re considering for a position

33. Get a vanity URL for your name
  34. Add your company website to your personal profile
  35. Use custom anchor text on the websites you list
  36. Find strategic partners
  37. Find out if the salesman you’re working with is reliable or not
  38. Get recommendations
  39. Refer skeptical prospects to your LinkedIn profile
  40. Answer questions in the “Answer” section to establish yourself as an industry expert
  41. Get warm introductions to prospects from your current connections
  42. Do research on job applicants
  43. Use your profile update to announce important business 
  44. Create and manage a group centered around your business
  45. Create and actively manage a group centered around your industry niche
  46. Use customized emails when you invite someone to connect – the default won’t do!
  47. Use customized emails to reply to people who ask you to connect – seize the opportunity!
  48. Optimize your profile to rank high for the phrases your customers are using
  49. Ask questions in the “Answers” section to use the collective LinkedIn brain trust to solve problems
  50. Join groups of your industry’s thought leaders  to stay on top of current trends

There you go - 50 different ideas on how to use Twitter, Facebook, and LinkedIn to grow your business through social media.  What ideas have worked for you?

P.s. Don't forget to read our 12 Tips to Getting Business Handed to You on LinkedIn!

Comments  

Posted On
Aug 19, 2010
Posted By
Michael Ridgely
0 Awesome Tips
There are a lot of great ways to promote your business through social media - this covered a lot of them.

Can you explain tip #45? I don't understand what the benefit is.
Posted On
Aug 19, 2010
Posted By
Hunter W
+1 Re: Awesome Tips
Michael,

You do this so you can brand yourself as an industry expert. You can create a group around your own company to share news but it still has the "self promotion" banner hanging over it. By creating a group focused on your niche you have the opportunity to reach people across your industry. Imagine if that group grows to 10,000 or even 100,000 - you'll have the chance to directly communicate with all of them! Now that's power and influence!
Posted On
Aug 20, 2010
Posted By
Stacie Abner
0 RE: 50 Ways to Use Social Media for Business
I think the Facebook fan page landing page is an under used tool that many small businesses don’t know about.
Posted On
Aug 20, 2010
Posted By
Caitlin Conroy
0 Thanks!
Thank you for posting this list - it has given me a lot of great ideas. We post pictures from our events on Facebook and ask our members to tag themselves and others. When someone who isn't already "Liking" us is tagged they usually start following us. That has been a great way for us to build our base.
Posted On
Sep 05, 2010
Posted By
Brigitte Houghton
0 Thanks
Brilliant post, attached the link to my facebook page. Very usefull.
Posted On
Sep 07, 2010
Posted By
Hunter W
0 RE: Thanks
Thanks Brigitte! I'm glad you found it useful.

LEAVE A REPLY

Security code
Refresh